Saturday, November 2, 2013

LA Movie Review- The Great Gatsby



Nick Carraway's life changes forever after he meets his (Great) neighbor, Jay Gatsby. My biggest problem with this film is the direction it took under Baz Luhrman. He made the first half feel like a rushed, special effects filled, music video. The second half is the dramatic film I wanted to see & it takes way too long to get there. There's a lot if actors in this so bare with me. Leonardo DiCaprio plays the ever, optimistic Jay Gatsby & while this isn't his best performance, he still is very good in it. Joel Edgerton really inhabits the role of Tom Buchanan, a cheating man who has a grudge against Gatsby & because of that his performance was my favorite. Carrey Mulligan does a great job portraying the love & fear that her character, Daisy Buchanan lives with. I also learned that if Tobey Maguire isn't wearing a Spiderman suit then I don't care for him as an actor. At the end of the day The Great Gatsby's disappointing first half & better second half makes it a mixed bag. Still, the second half just isn't enough to save it.
2.8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment