Thursday, December 31, 2015

Top 10 Worst of 2015

2015 was a pretty good year for film, none the less there were a few stinkers. Dishonorable mentions include Sinister 2, which I didn't really hate but wasn't a good movie.
10. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

The final entry into The Hunger Games saga proved to be the weakest. This film was an incredibly slow burn with a very weak payoff. Not only did it bore me but it pissed me off as well. A conversation between Peeta and Katniss about the color orange is proof that Mockingjay should never have been split into 2 movies.
9.  Aloha

This Cameron Crowe flick had all the potential in the world. It had a great trailer, a solid director, and a cast that boasted the likes of Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, and Bill Murray. The cast was given a by the numbers script that never really went anywhere. This movie squandered all the talent in the world and failed to be moving.
8. Jupiter Ascending

The Wachowski siblings directed a one of the greatest sci-fi action films ever in The Matrix. That movie is awesome, what's less awesome is that that movie came out in 1999 and they haven't directed a good film since then. A miscast Mila Kunis and a not even trying Channing Tatum lead this awfuly convoluted film. I applaud the Wachowskis for trying to create something original but this was crap. 
7. The Fantastic Four

It wasn't that bad.  Josh Trank's battle with Fox resulted a mess of a movie. I had a morbid curiosity going into it, the same one has when slowing down near a car wreck to view the carnage. The first third of this movie, as lifeless as it was, wasn't terrible but it became clear when the battle between director and studio occurred. Things became disjointed and actors, particularly Miles Teller, began mailing it in. Add a third act with no weight to it and you get this waste of a movie.
6. The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

Truth be told I don't remember much about this movie other than it being a complete waste of money. 
5. Unfinished Business

Unlike Spongebob I do remember this movie. I remember Dave Franco's name was Mike Pancake and Vince Vaughn wore makeup.  This comedy lacked any laughs and despite it trying, lacked any heart as well.  I remember feeling empty after watching it which isn't something I should have felt after watching a comedy.
4. Ladrones


Why is it that spanish comedies feel the need to be condescending to their audiences? They treat their viewers like complete morons and then deliver the most paint by numbers stories, Instructions Not Included did the same thing in 2013. If it's not broke then you don't fix it but this studio is in dire need of fixing it. 
3. Taken 3

I hated this movie. I really hated it. I hate it's shaky-cam style, I hate it being a ripoff of The Fugitive, I hate that Liam Neeson and Forrest Whittaker wasted their time on it. It's a stupid cash grab excuse for an action movie. The tag line says "It Ends Here". I sure hope so. 
2. The Gallows


A found footage horror movie set in a school at night has potential to work. You know, if you make it scary and hire good actors, a good filmmaker, someone who knows what they're doing. The Gallows had none of that.
1. While We're Young
Currently sitting at an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes is the only film I've ever walked out of. Similar to Mockingjay, this movie bored me and pissed me off. It came off as a pretentious hipster flick which made me leave 30 minutes early. As much as I loved Adam Driver in another film you might see on a different list, I hated him here. Ben Stiller was a bore, Amanda Seyfried had nothing to do, and Naiomi Watts just stood there. This movie angered me in a way no other ever had and for that it gets to be number 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment